Friday, March 4, 2011

WHx2 Pt 1 (saving the worst for first)

Welcome to Pt 1 of what will undoubtedly be an extremely many parted series. The project is to build two Mars Pattern Warhound titans simultaneously. I know what you're thinking, "what a great way to really slow down a cool project". I feel that if I build them at the same time they'll develop intertwined personalities as we go. Kind of deep and tree-hugger-ish I know, but trust me on this one.

The plan is to start at the bottom and work my way up. I have a goal to make the pose on one, or maybe both, extremely dynamic... like, how does that thing stand up, dynamic. We'll see if that is able to happen. I also plan to magnetize the weapons for interchange-abilty. I know a lot of folks have done that, but I have a plan that will allow me to still use the cabling that goes to the weapons. So let's get on with it!

The title of this post is Saving the worst for first, and for good reason.

(welcome to piston hell)

As I mentioned I'll be working from the bottom up. So that means two Warhounds worth of hip, leg, ankle, and toe pistons. Note: above you see only one Warhounds worth. In tedious matters such as cleaning and prepping parts I'll not make you look at pictures of two identical processes.

I'm happy to report that there is very little in the way of mold lines on all this mess. Sure, a little trimming, but not bad at all. Some pieces, like these toe bits shown below, needed nothing more than the resin channels trimmed off...

A quick shot of the feet themselves shows the kind of trimming that is needed there...

On to the washing we go. For cleaning resin I'm firmly in the Simple Green camp. I typically soak in it for a day or so then scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse well (the parts that is). In this case I've soaked all the pieces in a large cup. I would like to salvage my liquid for another batch of resin to soak in. I've found with small pieces (like hellish pistons) there is a common household item that can help me remove the pieces and keep the liquid...

A Strainer! I won't lie, I felt a lot smarter than I should have for thinking of this one. If you want to use one of these I suggest you a) use one your wife no longer uses, b)take it out of the kitchen while she isn't looking, and c) know if she reads your blog so you know whether 'a' or 'b' is your best option.

After much patience I've found that ForgeWorld was kind enough to place some extras of most of the piston types in the bag. Or else even they get so sick of them that they just throw a bunch in. Here they are all trimmed and laid out in their piston-y goodness...

(one Warhounds worth)

I already have the next bags of parts going through the cleaning process and hope to have all the leg parts cleaned and trimmed in the next week or so. I'll post as I get each bag of parts (x2) ready to go.

Thanks for visiting! Comments are welcome, as always. See you next time!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails